Friday, June 27, 2008

Read-a-Thon

Well, I feel like such a slacker when it comes to Dewey's Read-a-Thon this weekend. (I'm sorry for the lack of links, but I can't seem to get that to work when I post via e-mail, and if I mess up, I can't go in and correct my mistake until I get home.)

What's your plan, do you say? Plan? What plan? Maybe I should be better prepared for this reading goodness! I actually do have a few books set aside that are short and fun. I have the first volume of both Sandman and Y: The Last Man, plus there are a few other graphic novel series around our house, thanks to my husband, that I could pick up if I want. I also have a handful of Roald Dahl's short novels that Eli just loves that I could whip through in no time. My big read right now is still Little Women, which I'm about 1/3 of the way through. I've been reluctant lately to have more than 1 "main" read going, but I may pick up something else. No library books for me! I have probably 100+ books at home yet to be read (that I have actually accounted for - there are certainly more that I haven't dealt with yet) that I can choose from. I may try to make a dent in all the ARCs I have sitting around, since most of those are kids books and will be quick reads. I
may make a run to Borders tonight and check out the magazines for new knitting/crocheting books and/or a new issue of Bookmarks. I have an audiobook on my iPod if I need a break and want to knit or, god forbid, do some cleaning (you don't want to see my laundry pile...well, really it's multiple piles). I have a couple of knitting books that I've skimmed but not read. I'm going to read It's Perfectly Normal by Robie Harris, since I haven't actually read it but bought it months ago.

I plan to check in hourly, but we'll see what actually happens. I don't know how late I'll actually make it before falling asleep. I'll probably also take a little break to stop by our neighbors house for a birthday party that we got invited to yesterday.

And my daughter, Laura, plans to read along with me. I'm not sure how long she'll stick with it, but I expect I'll get at least a couple of hours out of her. I'm hoping to convince her to guest blog for me some during the day, so stay tuned for that!

4 comments:

Debi said...

Well, it sounds like you've got a few things in mind anyway, huh? I've got a huge stack of books ready, but I guess it will be a game time decision to see what I start with.

Will it be okay if Annie stops in here to check in with Laura and see how she's doing?

Ana S. said...

Sandman and Roald Dahl sound like perfect choices :)

How great that your daughter will be reading as well!

Somer said...

Debi - I guess I do have more of a plan than I thought I did, huh? Laura would love it if Annie checked in with her! I'll make sure she stops by Annie's blog, too.

Nymeth - I've read part of Sandman before but always put it down. I'm looking forward to a reason to sit down and read the whole thing (1st volume anyway - I'll have to see if Vol. 2 is hanging around anywhere...)

Vasilly said...

Have fun and good luck on the Read-a-thon.