Saturday, June 28, 2008

My tactic (and comment responses)

Someone asked how I'm dividing my reading (with so many comments it's easier to just make a post!). Little Women is long (duh), so I'm taking breaks from it by reading something lighter. So, I'll read a bit of Little Women (a chapter or two, or a whole hour), then read something else. I'm not reading multiple "something elses," just the one other until it's finished, then pick something else up. Make sense?

I loved It's Perfectly Normal. I think it's important to cut straight to the chase in terms of sex education, and that's exactly what this book is. It's a very balanced book and very frank. I want *both* my kids to read it, so that they can make the best decisions they can when the time comes (hopefully a long time from now, since they're only 9 and 11!). The only thing that annoyed me about this book were the little cartoon bird and bee interspersed throughout the book. It was like that annoying person who can't have a serious conversation without making a joke.

5 comments:

Chrisbookarama said...

That whole conversation scares me!

Eva said...

lol @ the cartoon bird! I'm glad I don't have kids (yet?), so I don't have to worry about 'the talk.' Ugh.

Anonymous said...

It's Perfectly Normal sounds like a great book, and your tactic makes perfect sense to me! I think it might be time to take a break from my current book and pick up something lighter.

Somer said...

Chris - the conversation doesn't scare me, because we've never made a big deal out of it. We started the dialogue as soon as they started asking questions. :-)

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

You are a brave soul taking on Little Women today. I've abandoned my heavier books for lighter stuff! Keep up the great reading!