Saturday, June 7, 2008

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi


Persepolis is a memoir, told in graphic novel form, of Marjane Satrapi's childhood in Iran, during the Islamic Revolution. The story is told in black-and-white pictures, comic-strip style, though there is little comic about them. Satrapi's story is filled with horrors and frustrations. Horrors at watching (not necessarily literally) friends and family die. Frustrations of being a woman in such an oppressive society. Satrapi was a very brave child, standing for what she believed in from a very young age. Her family embraced the Western lifestyle in a time where Islamic fundamentalism prevailed, putting their very lives in danger.

This book is now part 1 of a 2-part series. This particular book ends when Satrapi is either 12 or 13 and she leaves Iran for Austria, to continue her education. I very much want to read Persepolis 2, to hear the rest of her story.

Satrapi spoke here in Houston not long ago - unfortunately it was a weeknight, and weeknight gigs are hard to arrange with 2 youngish kids. I hear it was very good, and I wish we could have made it.

If you've reviewed this book, leave a comment, and I'll link to your review.

Other reviews:
Marg at ReadingAdventures
tinylittlelibrarian at Tiny Little Reading Room

This book fills the "S" author spot in the A-Z Challenge.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I've read this (and Persepolis 2) with my long-distance book club back in early 2006 - that was also before I started writing reviews of books. I gave them both 4 out of 5 stars, and thought them worthy enough to donate both to my university curriculum collection.

Marg said...

This was the first Graphic novel I ever read and I loved it! My review is here

Carl V. Anderson said...

I've got to read this series. I should just go ahead and get it from the library and get to it!!!

tinylittlelibrarian said...

Great review, better than mine. :) I've linked to you.