Thursday, June 5, 2008

Booking through Thursday

Have your book-tastes changed over the years? More
fiction? Less? Books that are darker and more serious? Lighter and more
frivolous? Challenging? Easy? How-to books over novels? Mysteries over
Romance?

Don't forget to leave a link to your actual response (so people don't have to go searching for it) in the comments—or if you prefer, leave your answers in the comments themselves!

I don't often answer these, although I like reading other peoples' responses. But this one looked like a good opportunity to post.

I think it's natural for people's book tastes to change over the years; after all, we all grow over time. When I was in high school, I read a lot of Danielle Steel and Stephen King. I would never pick up a flat-out romance book now, but I'm not averse to reading another Stephen King (it's been years since I read anything by him, but I've enjoyed every one I ever read). Then I went through a Patricia Cornwell stage - I'm over that now, too, as the Kay Scarpetta novels just really seemed to fizzle. I read *much* more literary fiction than I ever have before thanks to book blogs and magazines like Bookmarks. But I'm also reading more young adult books than I've ever read before, thanks to keeping up with some reading lists over the past couple of years. I think I've finally settled into a groove with reading, in that I get suggestions from everywhere, and my wishlist/TBR stack have books of all different varieties. I don't read romance anymore (at least not
Danielle Steel-type - Philippa Gregory's books and the Outlander series do have some "romance" characteristics), and I've learned that I don't really care much for cozy mysteries. But overall, I'll read just about anything you put in my hands!

3 comments:

Debi said...

Sheesh...except for the fact that I don't think I've ever read a romance, I practically could have written your answer myself! The Stephen King bit...was definitely my late middle school/high school favorite, but haven't read any for a while (I'm rereading The Stand now). Loved Patricia Cornwell for a while, but gave up on her a few years back. Though I've read a handful of cozy mysteries through the years, they're really not my thing. And this whole world of book blogging has really expanded my horizons...I've ventured into literary fiction as well as fantasy and YA and graphic novels. Glad you played this week...I really enjoyed reading your answer!

Have a great weekend, Somer!

Florinda said...

I was the same way in high school, and into college, with Danielle Steel - and like you, I stay away from out-and-out romances now.

Glad you answered BTT this week!

Somer said...

Debi - we often are on the same wavelength when it comes to reading, it seems!

Florinda - I'll try to chime in on these more often!