Friday, June 13, 2008

It's been a slow week

After my burst of reading over the weekend, things have slowed down a lot. Monday night I picked up Deadline by Chris Crutcher, one of the books on the Tayshas high school recommended list, and I read maybe 1/4-1/3 of it before putting it aside. It actually isn't a bad book, but I just wasn't into it. Seeing as how there are around 60 books on that list for 2008-2009, I'm not going to keep reading something if it's not my thing.

So, instead I picked up Masterpiece by Elise Broach, which is another one of the ARCs I brought home from TLA. This one is really cute. The main character is a beetle who lives in the walls of an apartment that is occupied by a boy named James and his family. I'll save more for a review when I finish the book, but I'll say that the book reminds me a bit of Beverly Cleary's Mouse and the Motorcycle or what I imagine A Cricket in Times Square might be like (I've never read it). It's very cute.

I'm sort of reading Anne of Green Gables to Laura, but it's on an "as time allows" basis. She read it several years ago and isn't interested in reading it by herself again. I was afraid that might happen with a couple of books she read when she was really too young for them... But it's a fun read-aloud, and I'm enjoying reading it with her!

1 comment:

Beth Fehlbaum, Author said...

Hi, I like your blog. I'm a Crutcher fan-- if you haven't read any of his other books, I hope you'll check them out. He graciously allowed me to integrate elements of his novel, Ironman, into my own novel.
I'm a Texas author and my debut novel, Courage in Patience, releases Sept. 1, 2008. And, I have to say, I like folk music, too!
Hope you'll check out my book and maybe post about it on your site...
thanks for letting me stop by!

Beth Fehlbaum, author
Courage in Patience, a story of hope for those who have endured abuse
http://courageinpatience.blogspot.com
http://www.kunati.com/courage-in-patience
Chapter 1 is online!