Sunday, May 11, 2008

Weekly Geeks Week 3







This week's Weekly Geeks assignment is to write about our favorite childhood books. So I'll muse a bit.

I don't remember learning to read. There are pictures of me with books as young as 2 or 3 years old, but I think I was probably between 3 and 4 when I really put the letters together to make words. As a very young child, my favorite books were a couple of fairy tale compilations and poetry books (which made their way back to me about a year and a half ago, much to my delight!). I would pore over them over and over again, so much so that the pictures are still a part of my earliest memories. I remember one picture of kids looking into a fire in a fireplace and seeing different things. And I remember this one picture with snow topping a fence, with birds in the picture. I have a distinct *taste* I associate with this picture, a sweet taste, that was obviously what I thought that snow would taste like. :-)

I discovered Judy Blume in about 3rd grade and read everything I could get my hands on, and I read them over and over and over again. The first one I ever read was Starring Sally J. Freedman, as Herself.

I went through a phase where I wanted to read every book in my school library and started with A. I think I probably only made it through a few books before giving up. I also went through a biography phase and a play phase - I loved reading the plays out loud to myself.

And of course there was Shel Silverstein. Loved Where the Sidewalk Ends, as did everyone else.

But most of my elementary school days were spent reading paperbacks of various types from the Scholastic or Troll book orders. It was so exciting when the books would come in! I really wish I had a list of all the books I read at that age. Oh, and I also used to love Dynamite magazine and, I think it was called Hot Dog magazine, both of which I would get through the book orders. Those were fun. And yes, I also went through a Mad Magazine and Cracked Magazine phase. I bought my daughter a Mad Magazine about a year ago, and she loved it, but it was nothing like I remembered...

I'm looking forward to reading what other people loved!

7 comments:

Maree said...

Like you, I don't remember learning to read either. It was just always there somehow.

Debi said...

What a fun post, Somer! I love that you decided to read all the books in the library in alphabetical order...too funny! Sounds so like something I would have tried if I'd have thought of it...and I'm surprised I never did think of it.

Katherine said...

I too read and loved the Judy Blume books!

Terri B. said...

Oh, I loved it when it was time to order from the Scholastic catalog. You are so right about the excitement when the books arrived!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention Shel Silverston. I loved reading him. I still do!!

Childhood Memories

Ana S. said...

I wish I had a list too - I bet there's lots that I've read but completely forgot about!

Melanie said...

OOOh! Mad Magazine was a favorite of mine as well. I flipped through one a couple years ago and it does seem to have changed a lot.