Monday, May 19, 2008

American Gods by Neil Gaiman



I liked Stardust better. Ok. I've said it.

I feel like I was supposed to like American Gods more than I did. I did like it, but I don't necessarily feel like I grokked it in the same way my husband, among others, did. I think this is probably one I should re-read someday to pick up all the things I inevitably missed.

I appreciate American Gods as A Very Good Book. But it's not my preferred type of book. I don't even think I could say what my "preferred" type of book is...

In a more "reviewish" vein, I felt like the book started out strong and then just sort of...continued (for lack of a better word) for a while...then it picked up again about 3/4 of the way through. I couldn't put it down yesterday and was ticked that I fell asleep before finishing it last night. I liked the "aha" moments. There wasn't anything I *didn't* like about the book, but nothing that I *loved*, either.

What amazes me the most is just how versatile Neil Gaiman is as an author. He just blows me away, even with the books that aren't my "style" (whatever that is).

Other reviews:
Amanda (the librarian)
Melissa at Book Nut

This counts toward three challenges!

7 comments:

Debi said...

Gotta love those multi-challenge books, don't you?

Sorry this one didn't knock your socks off. I'm one of those who absolutely loved it! But I can't compare it to Stardust because I haven't read that one yet. What's wrong with me, huh?!!

Somer said...

Stardust and American Gods are so completely different that you can hardly compare them. I can't wait to hear what you think of it when you finally read it!

Amanda said...

I've read 8 chapters of this one so far (for an online book discussion) and I'm having a hard time getting it. This definitely isn't my genre. I've read a few reviews at Amazon that say this is one of those books you have to read twice, so maybe you'll like it better the second time around, Somer!

Ana S. said...

I agree with you that Stardust and American Gods are so different they can barely be compare - and thus it's perfectly natural that some readers will love one and not be too crazy about the other.

Somer said...

Amanda - I don't know if you've read other Gaiman books, but don't give up! He's a great author!

Nymeth - It's hard to believe the 2 books are even by the same author.

Amanda said...

I finally finished the book earlier this week - here's my review.

Somer said...

Amanda, I linked to your post.