Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Weekly Geeks #4

Dewey's instructions for this week:
Choose a political or social issue that matters to you. Find several books addressing that issue; they don’t have to books you’ve read, just books you might like to read. Using images (of the book covers or whatever you feel illustrates your topic) present these books in your blog.

Here are my bookcovers:



I have been blessed with two beautiful, healthy children. We have taught them to question and not follow blindly. My daughter has always fit pretty well into that little box called public education. Well, until this year, anyway, when she was cursed with both a really bad teacher and a real jerk of a teacher - she has learned this year that her teacher isn't always right and sometimes she needs to question what she is asked/told to do (and her teacher hasn't appreciated this). My son has never fit into the public education box very well, and it caused much heartache early on.

All of these books reflect the idea that it is possible to raise well-adjusted children despite societal pressures and norms.

5 comments:

Debi said...

Great post, Somer! I'm adding every one of those books to my wish list! Have you read any of them?

Somer said...

I've read them all, and they are all excellent! Another I would recommend is Sheedy's other book, Kids, Parents and Power Struggles (or something like that). I forgot to put that one in my original post and am too lazy to edit it!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of books about how to steer kids through our crazy society in a healthy way! I don't know if my list is a continuation of that or the opposite; it's all about how people deal with NOT having been raised in a healthy way....

Somer said...

Danica, I agree! I think all parents would benefit from reading books like this!

Wendy said...

Your post caught my attention because I just received an interesting book from the publisher about raising children! It is called Ships Without a Shore by Anne R. Pierce, PhD...I don't have children, but I love kids and recognize that they are our future...so these kinds of books interest me.