Sunday, January 20, 2008

King Dork by Frank Portman

I honestly don't know what to make of this book.

Tom is at the absolute bottom of the social ladder at his high school, which is full of vapid bullies who torture him relentlessly. A near second is his fellow wanna-be band member, Sam Hellerman.

Throw in lots of make believe bands, The Catcher in the Rye, the mystery of Tom's father's death, a make-out session at a party and the subsequent obsession with mysterious Fiona, and an unpleasant associate principal, and you've got yourself one interesting novel.

I had a hard time getting into this book, but at the same time I really wanted to know what was going to happen, so I plugged on, and I am glad I finished it. I think the audience that would enjoy this book the most is nerdy, loner teenage boys, but anyone who has experienced a treacherous high school life will sympathize with Tom.

No comments: