Sunday, January 20, 2008

Chicken Boy by Frances O'Roark Dowell


I first started this book before Christmas, but I couldn't get into it. I returned it to the library when one of my holds came in. It was the only Bluebonnet nominee on the shelf that I hadn't read this week, though, so I picked it up again. I read the entire (well, remaining) book yesterday.

Tobin doesn't start the 7th grade on a good note - his grandmother is arrested for wreckless driving when she drops him off at school. This is par for the course for Tobin, the youngest in a set of siblings known throughout the school system for their disorderly behavior. But Tobin is different, if a bit rough around the edges.

Tobin unexpectedly makes friends with Henry, when Henry comes to his rescue during a fight, and is suddenly knee deep in chickens. This a story of family and friends and trying to please everyone and hurt no one, and you will find yourself really rooting for Tobin and his dysfunctional family.

No comments: