Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray


This third installment in the Gemma Doyle Trilogy didn't disappoint. I finished this book today after two weeks. I can't even imagine how long this would have taken if I were dividing my time between multiple books. I'm really glad I gave this my full attention.

The only bad thing about this book, IMO, was knowing that the end of the book meant the end of the trilogy. It was full of suspense, although I did sort of have it figured out long from the end. Not a certainty, but a suspicion.

I don't want to recount too much of this book, because, being the 3rd in the series, it is picking up more than halfway through the story. If you have read the first two installments (A Great and Terrible Beauty and Rebel Angels), I think you will enjoy this one just as much. If you haven't read them yet, they're at the top of my "recommend" list. I definitely count this series as one of my favorites.

I'll be at the Texas Library Association this week, and, if I get there in time on Tuesday, plan to see Libba Bray's talk (along with some other YA authors who I can't remember right now). I'm bummed that I can't go to her booksigning on Wednesday. I have a program that I must attend, since I'm an officer in the division hosting it, at the same time. I would much rather go "meet" Libba Bray, I must admit. I'm such a fangirl. :-)

This book fulfills THREE challenges!

5 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I'm thrilled that you are fannish in your devotion, it is a cool way to be in my opinion. I haven't read these but have loved the covers and think they look fascinating. I'm so sorry you are going to miss her book signing, but I hope you have a lovely time at the convention and are able to get to see her speak.

Somer said...

While these books are promoted as "chick lit," even by Libba Bray herself, my husband really likes the series. You oughtta check it out!

Carl V. Anderson said...

I don't generally let the whole 'chick lit' thing throw me off. Not that I go out and seek out the genre, but when I hear about good stuff it doesn't put me off. Obviously, I love Colleen Gleason's books so much. :)

Debi said...

Annie just read A Great and Terrible Beauty, and absolutely adored it! (In fact, we have to head out to the bookstore tonight to pick her up Rebel Angels. She's lucky she's got parents who understand the whole reading addiction thing.) I'll be sure to let her know how much you love this series.

Melanie said...

I'm about halfway through Rebel Angels on audiobook and am glad to hear the series ends strong.