Thursday, November 22, 2007

Incantation by Alice Hoffman


Estrella and Catalina have been friends since birth. Estrella thinks they look just like sisters. Both are Spanish Catholics, but Estrella attends a different church than Catalina, even though Catalina's church is nearer to Estrella's home. Catalina is betrothed to Andres, but when Estrella suddenly finds herself looking at Andres in a different light, her relationship with Catalina begins to change.

Set against a backdrop of the Spanish Inquistion, this story brings in friendship, betrayal, fear, and true love.

My only experience with Alice Hoffman's books was Ice Queen, which I really didn't like at all, so I was a little wary going into this one. I was very pleasantly surprised! I devoured this book, and now I really want to read more of Hoffman's books. I'm particularly keen to read Practical Magic, as the movie is one of my favorite movies of all times.

No comments: