Sunday, October 21, 2007

I noticed that I accidentally posted my review of The Blue Ghost on this blog instead of my children's lit blog. I think I might abandon the other one and just do all my reviews here. It feels redundant. I hardly have time to keep up one blog, much less two, anyway. (Not to mention my personal Live Journal...)

This week I finished two books. The Blue Ghost, which I already reviewed, and The Good Earth, which I'll try to review soon. I've now finished two books for the Unknown Authors challenge which I'm participating in (Going Postal and The Good Earth). I'm not immediately starting the next on my list for that challenge (Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil) since I have so many other books going, and I'm trying to trim the list down a bit. I've picked up Fast Food Nation as a more steady read - I had been just reading it here and there.

I'm pretty close to being done with House of Leaves. This book sure fits the definition of challenge. I'll be glad when I'm done.

I have picked up another off the nominee list for the Texas Bluebonnet Award - The Year of the Dog by Grace Lin. I saw Lin speak at the Texas Library Association conference last spring and have been really wanted to read this book since then. It's cute so far, but not mind-shattering.

Today I took my daughter to Barnes & Noble to use a gift card she got for her birthday. I can't remember the name of the book she bought, but it looked good. She bought The Name of This Book Is a Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch. From the bargain shelf I bought Thud! by Terry Pratchett, not realizing my husband had already bought it. We're either going to Bookcross it or bookmooch it. He wants to release it at the coffeeshop we frequent by our house, which I think's a pretty good idea. I also bought The Dewey Decimal System of Love, a corny romance novel with a librarian as the protagonist. It was just too cheesy to pass up! My last buy was a new copy of The Golden Compass, since I can't find our copies of His Dark Materials. I think we must have given them to a friend, but I can't imagine why we would have done that, knowing the girl will want to read them...

It's supposed to get cool tomorrow, and I would love to just curl up with a book. Alas, work beckons...

5 comments:

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

Screwed up the previous post - I meant to say:

I just gave my nephew (for his birthday) an advance copy of Grace Lin's The Year of the Rat that I picked up at TLA (to be published in January). He's read The Year of the Dog so he was pleased.

Iliana said...

Woo-hoo, sounds like you have gotten a lot of reading done! I'm closing to finishing one of my reading challenges. Thank goodness - I sign up with the best of intentions but other books get in the way :)

Dewey said...

Try reading House of Leaves when you're at Borders only because you had wine with dinner, and Borders was a place to hang out within walking distance of the restaurant, until you felt ok to drive, which if you're me means 100% completely no wine left in your body. In THAT situation, House of Leaves is even more challenging.

Somer said...

Dewey, I can't even imagine...

Bookgirl, I'm relatively new to challenges, so I'm very pleased to have finished this one, as hard as it was! I'm doing well with my other one, too (Unread Authors).