Sunday, October 14, 2007

Live and in person

I read other people's "Booking Through Thursday" posts every week, but I haven't ever posted my own. Mostly because I read posts at work, but can't post from my work computer. I really wanted to answer this week's question, though.



  • Have you ever met one of your favorite authors? Gotten their autograph?
Being a librarian in a large metropolitan area, I actually get this opportunity pretty regularly. I haven't met as in sat down and talked with a favorite author, but in the past three years I've gotten books autographed by Libba Bray, Rick Riordan, Graeme Base, and Garth Nix (actually, my husband got this one, but I was with him). The best was Libba Bray, because she had mentioned in her talk that all her fans were girls, and my husband loves her books. I told her this and she signed Rebel Angels "to her lone male groupie" or something similar. Graeme Base was really cool, too, because he draws pictures with his autograph. I bought The Eleventh Hour (which has a birthday theme) for my daughter's 8th birthday, and he drew a "happy birthday" picture.

  • How about an author you felt only so-so about, but got their autograph anyway? Like, say, at a book-signing a friend dragged you to?
I've gotten a couple of books autographed at library conferences by authors I didn't know.

  • How about stumbling across a book signing or reading and being so captivated, you bought the book?
Haven't had this happen, unless you count the library conference book signings.

No comments: