Thursday, August 28, 2008

R.I.P. III Challenge


It's that time of year again, and I'm so excited! Carl V's challenges are so much fun! The R.I.P. II challenge last year was one of my first challenges, and while I didn't care for the one book I chose (House of Leaves), I did enjoy taking part. So here is my game plan.

I hope to read 4 books this year. I'm still up in the air about which pool to pick my books from - only ones I have at home or should I allow myself to branch out to the library? Since I work in a public library, I won't have any problem getting pretty much any book I want, so I think I'm going to make my list and let the randomizer do the rest of the work.

Here are the books I plan to choose from (subject to change).

From my own collection:

100 Cupboards
Billy Bones: A Tale from the Secrets Closet
Tithe
Witch Child
Nature of Monsters

From the library:

The Sister
Heart-Shaped Box
The Bone Key
The Terror
Gil's All-Fright Diner
Mistress of the Art of Death
The Ghost Writer
World War Z
Anna's Book
Wicked Lovely
Spook

I noticed that there's no official short story portion of the challenge this year, which was one of my favorite (yet largely unsuccessful) parts of the challenge last year, so I'm going to create my own "short story sunday." I have several books in the house that fit this category this year: a couple of Neil Gaiman short story collections, John Connelly's Nocturnes, a Stephen King collection, and a dark faery story collection (Black Pearls).

I'm almost finished with The Stupidest Angel, which technically fits the challenge, but I'm going to be a purist and only count books I started after the challenge was announced. So I will dive into my first challenge book tomorrow, which will be Tithe.


9 comments:

Debi said...

Hope you enjoy Tithe. I had mixed feelings about that book, so I'm anxious to see what you think of it.

You've got a great list there! I never thought of Spook, but what a great book to put in your pool! I might just have to copy you...

I'm planning on reading some short stories, too. I was sorry to see Short Story Sunday left off this year, though I was very sporadic in actually participating last year anyway.

Somer said...

Debi - I started Tithe a while back and never made it very far. I've heard such great things about Holly Black, but I've also heard mixed reviews, too. I want to at least read the first in the series.

Last year, I think I did 3 short stories, maybe, but at the time I was trying to read so many things at once. This year, I'm going to completely devote my Sundays to short stories, I think, and put everything else aside for the day. We'll see how it goes!

Carl V. Anderson said...

I'm glad you're joining in! I am thinking I'm going to go ahead and make the short story thing 'official' again. I myself am going to be doing the same thing because I love short stories, especially in this genre. I was trying to keep things very simple this year but am regretting not including this.

Somer said...

Oh goodie! I'm glad you're going to include the short stories, Carl!

Cath said...

Mistress of the Art of Death is wonderful! It made my list of top ten reads for last year. A superb book.

I have several volumes of short stories on my list so hope to do a few short story Sundays. I didn't do many last time but it was fun when I did.

Look forward to your reviews!

Somer said...

Cath - Excellent! That's another one I'll move to the top of my list!

Anonymous said...

I loved the idea of Short Story Sunday but with one thing and another ended up being rather useless at it (and at the rest of the challenge actually).

Sorry you didn't enjoy House of Leaves, I have that one waiting to be read, hopefully I'll enjoy it more than you did.

Great list! Hope you enjoy the books you read.

Lisa said...

Oh, I highly recommend Mistress of the Art of Death.

Somer said...

I keep hearing how great Mistress of the Art of Death is. I think that one will be next up after Heart-Shaped Box!