Thursday, August 14, 2008

Moloka'i by Alan Brennert


Don't assume by the length of time it took me to read this book that I didn't like it. I started it sometime last week and fully expected to finish it by the end of the week. However, life got in the way, and it took me almost a full week longer to finally get it read.

Moloka'i is the story of Rachel, a Hawaiian girl who develops leprosy at the age of seven and is sent to the island of Moloka'i which is the site of a leper colony. I was afraid the book would be depressing and bleak, but it really wasn't. I learned so much from this book. I wasn't aware that the Hawaiian people were (are?) very susceptible to developing leprosy and that there was such an epidemic of the disease. I loved this book - in fact, it makes my list of favorites. Don't be dissuaded by the subject matter - this is a lovely book.

Also reviewed by Stephanie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read Moloka'i last year and really enjoyed it. You can see my review here: http://thewrittenword.wordpress.com/2007/07/05/molokai/
You are right, it was far from depressing and probably was one of the best books I've read in a long time.