Monday, February 4, 2008

Library Meme

I love this meme, created by Becky over at Becky's Book Reviews.


How do you plan on celebrating Library Lovers month?
How sad is it that I, a librarian, didn't know it was Library Lover's month? I'll celebrate by making sure I remember to return my books on time. ;-)

How often do you accidentally spell library as 'libary' when you're in a hurry? I'm actually kind of paranoid about this. But there was this one time I had created handouts for a talk I was giving, with the name of my library in the header. After I got back from the talk, I noticed that I had made that typo on the handouts! EEEKKK!!!

What is the most amount of books you've ever had checked out at one time? Well, in my library, which is a departmental library in a hospital, I will often check things out on my card if the person needing to borrow a book needs to renew their card or hasn't gotten one, because I don't have the ability to create an account for them myself and it can be a real hassle for them to get it taken care of. So I have had upwards of 30 books out at a time professionally. I'm sure when I was taking children's literature classes I often had 10-20 out at a time, not to mention the stacks of picture books we used to bring home when the kids were younger.

What is the longest you've ever gone without visiting the library? I used to go to the library lots when I was a kid, but then in middle school and high school, when I was no longer within walking distance, I hardly ever went. I only remember going a couple of times in middle school, and I don't remember ever getting books for pleasure from the public library in high school. In fact, I only remember going to the public library maybe once or twice. I guess if we're talking about *any* library, I would have to say the longest was probably from the time my daughter was about 1 until she was about 3. Before that, I was in and out of academic libraries all the time.

What is the biggest fine you've ever had? I think I had a pretty substantial fine at some point due to a lost book or two. Maybe close to $50. Yikes!

When you go to the library, do you plan ahead and make a list? I almost always know what I plan to get, or at least have an idea. I very rarely just browse.

Have you ever been shushed or hushed by a librarian? My kids have, for sure. When I was a children's librarian, I tried very hard not to be a shusher!

What is the worst (against-the-rules) thing you've ever done in the library? I kissed my boyfriend in 6th grade behind the library. Does that count? I think the only library I've eaten in (besides my current library, which doesn't count) was at my previous job, where food and drink were allowed.

What's the worst thing you've ever done to a library book? The worst thing that has ever happened to a library book in my possession was probably a page torn by my child. I'm pretty protective of my library books!

Have you ever had a "favorite" librarian? Yes. Myself. ;-) No, really. I don't think I did have a favorite growing up. I would have to say my favorite librarian was one of the children's librarians I used to work with.

If you could change one thing about your library it would be... Does it have to be just one thing? I have a few...self-serve holds. A self-check machine that works all the time. And a friendlier staff.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I didn't know it was Library Lovers month either. Maybe this was a regional sort of thing. My public library has self checkout machines, but I don't think I have ever used it as I normally have books on the holds shelf to pick up, which is behind the circ desk. I browse, but I rarely find anything really good that is new.

Somer said...

Our library has one self check station, but it's often out of order. At the public library I used to work out, we had about 6 self checks that were supposed to be the default. At that library, the holds were self-help, so you could go pick your hold up yourself and check it out at the self check station.