Sunday, December 16, 2007

Cyrano by Geraldine McCaughrean

Prior to reading this book, my only previous exposure to the story of Cyrano de Bergerac was the 1980s movie adaptation, Roxanne, with Steve Martin. Sad, I know.

I have to say, I quite liked this book. It was a nice, short read, and I really liked McCaughrean's writing style. Obviously, the story is very different from the Steve Martin movie (no lovestruck firefighters :-) ).

I never would have picked this up if it weren't on the list for the Name that Book competition. That's the fun thing about reading from a list like that; you're exposed to different types of books than you might ordinarily pick up.

Overall, I just haven't gotten a lot of reading done lately, so having a quick read like this was great (it was only 116 pages long). I'd like to read another version sometime to see how much like the original this was.

No comments: