Sunday, March 15, 2009

Just checking in

I started re-reading The Mists of Avalon after I finished my last book, so it will be a while before I post a review, I think. It takes a really long time to read an 800+ book with only a little while each day to read! I first read Mists of Avalon in 1992, and I remember not being able to put it down. I'm not having that experience this time, but I think it's just that I don't have the time to devote to it that I did when I was 20... The fact that I have placed it on my list of favorites consistently keeps me reading.

We've had a very tough week here emotionally (my 10-year-old son had a friend who tragically died), and I haven't been in a mood to lose myself in a book. Knitting has kept me busy while not having to concentrate. It doesn't help that I have 3 time-sensitive projects going and more in the wings.

On a book-related note, we went to see Coraline for the second time today. The first time we had to settle for the 2D version, since the 3D version wasn't playing anymore. I guess they had freed up all the 3D slots for the Jonas Brothers movie (it was opening weekend), because today we noticed Coraline was showing in 3D again. I have to say, having seen both versions, the 3D version was MUCH better and more satisfying.

4 comments:

Shelley said...

I've always wanted to read Mists of Avalon. So sorry to hear about your son's friend. That must be pretty tough for him.

Lezlie said...

I'm so sorry about your son's friend. I hope your son is doing okay.

Lezlie

Debi said...

Oh my goodness, Somer. I am so sorry about your son's friend. How's your son doing? I can't even imagine how tough that must be on him, and in turn on you.

Somer said...

Thanks for the thoughts.

Eli is doing ok, all things considered. He is a little quicker to tears over small things than normal, and he is a little sullen, but I think he will be fine. We gave him the option of going to the visitation or the funeral, and he didn't want to go. Part of me wishes he had, since maybe that would have helped, but I wasn't going to force him.